If you are what you eat, then a recipe from Maman owner Elisa Marshall might just make you cool as a cucumber. Inspired by the cucumber extract found in our DayWear Eye Cooling Anti-Oxidant Moisture GelCreme, Marshall has shared with Estée Stories a healthy and refreshing Herb Cucumber Chickpea Salad recipe that’s both light and satisfying.
Much like our DayWear’s Super Anti-Oxidant Complex, the combination of ingredients in this dish has superpower-like benefits. Not only are cucumbers super hydrating due to their water content, lemon is a natural diuretic, parsley has both antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties, chickpeas are loaded with energizing protein, Greek yogurt has probiotics that promote good-for-you gut bugs, and the extra virgin olive oil is known for its heart-healthy monosaturated fats.
"I love this healthy salad because it’s perfect any time of the year," Marshall says. "It’s delicious enjoyed on its own or on a piece of toast if you’re extra hungry. Also, the dressing is great with classic greens, so I love to make a larger batch and store it in the fridge for up to five days."
Sound good? We’d say so. Here’s how to make it:
For the Salad:
- 2 cups diced cucumber (peel if preferred)
- 2 cups cooked canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- sunflower sprouts for garnish
- (optional for toast) 4 slices of country bread or multi-grain toast
In a large bowl, combine all ingredients together and toss.
For the Dressing:
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon pickle juice (“I think it has more flavor than vinegar!” Elisa explains.)
- 1 minced garlic clove
- 1/3 cup whole milk Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
In a small bowl, combine the minced garlic and salt with the back of a fork. Add the lemon juice, pickle juice and yogurt, and whisk together until smooth. Slowly add in the olive oil until it thickens. Add to salad as desired. Serves 4.